January 28, 2010

first seam sewn, first seam ripped out


The surest way to learn that flat felled seams start with the allowance to the outside, face side, of the garment, is to sew a seam and see that you've got it backwards. After carefully picking out tiny stitches from silk brocade I started again.

So, I laid the pieces together, face sides out, sewed a seam with a 1/2 inch allowance, and trimmed one side of the allowance to just under 1/4 inch.


Then I folded the larger allowance over the trimmed side and pressed. I did this before pressing the seam open because I figured it would be less fiddly. 


After pressing the pieces open I stitched 1/16 from the edge of the fold.


Here's the seam from the back.


And from the front.


A very pretty seam! 

6 comments:

  1. A very pretty seam indeed! So much neater than my sewing - I must get better at that.

    Thanks a lot for sharing all your hard work - I just recently found your blog and have been enjoying it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very even and straight. I tried flat felled seams on a shirt once, and not one of them was the same width. It was with my old sewing machine too, which refused to sew in a straight line. So none of the seams ran parallel either. If ever a description were needed for a 'homemade' look, my shirt was it.

    Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That material is gorgeous! The best one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for sharing in the flat felled seam joy!

    ReplyDelete